(Jean’s Note: Another potluck hit! This recipe, which I found on the internet, comes together quickly, especially with cooked quinoa on hand and a packaged of pre-cubed butternut squash. I sautéd the squash in the skillet rather than roasting in the oven. I also opted not to use the vegan cheddar cheese as called for (not a fan of all the oil), but topped the casserole with creamy cashew cheese sauce (recipe here) when it came out of the oven . Yum!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (JN’s: omitted the oil)
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa + 2 cups water (3 cups cooked)
- 2 cups corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans (a little more than a cup), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 lime , juiced
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (non-dairy cheese if vegan)
- Salsa or hot sauce (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roast the butternut squash with olive oil either in the oven (400°F for 15 minutes, further instructions can be found here) or on the stovetop (medium-high heat until soft, about 10-12 minutes like in this recipe).
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions (Add the quinoa + water in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until water is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes).
- In a large casserole dish (at least 9×13), add the cooked squash and quinoa, corn and black beans. Sprinkle in cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Add tomato and avocado (you may prefer to wait until after baking to add the avocado). Top with cheese. (JN’s: I omitted the cheese, but poured creamy cashew cheese sauce over the dish after it came out of the oven.)
- Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.