I was beginning to believe I was the only person who had never heard of Mojo Potatoes until the Get Healthy Clear Lake Potluck the other night when I decided to serve them. No one else had ever heard of them either. We will correct that here and now! Mojos, where have they been all my life?
These delicious bites are something of a cross between a potato chip and an oven fry.
Apparently Shakey’s Pizza used to serve mojos (fried) to customers as they waited for their pizza to arrive tableside. I’m certain the ones below are a much healthier version – they are baked, and oil free. Serve them along side your favorite non-dairy ranch dressing, queso dip or hummus.
5 medium potatoes (gold or russet works)
1 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
1/2 cup unbleached whole white wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (I needed two baking sheets.)
- Cut the potatoes in half and then cut each half lengthwise into 8-10 wedges, depending on how thick you want them.
- In a large container that has a tight lid, whisk together all of the other ingredients until smooth.
- Add the potatoes. Cover with the lid, and shake vigorously until the batter has evenly coated all of the potatoes.
- Shake off any excess batter and place the potato wedges on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Enjoy, and get your mojo on!